How to Find the Best Pet Insurance
Insurance is a must in the world. Parents, children and belongings are insured. Yet, very few actually insure their pets. This has changed over time and today more and more companies are providing pet insurance.
Pet insurance policies are just like any other policy, they protect what you own and/or love, and ease the blow of expensive medical bills. Pets are a part of the family, after all, and it is always devastating when something comes up and nothing can be done to remedy it.
What does pet insurance cover?
Accidents and sudden illnesses are usually covered by pet insurance companies. However, some aspects of a pet's health that may not be covered, such as shots and annual visits to the vet. Pre-existing conditions too, often go without coverage.
Still, coverage is very important and can save an animal's life. There are different types of coverage, some more affordable than others. The first type of coverage is against accidents, such as your pet being hit by a car.
The following type of coverage is against both sudden accidents and illnesses. These can range from allergies to cancer.
How to Find the Best Pet Insurance PoliciesAfter a quick search, you can find several different companies that provide this type of coverage. To start, consider the type of coverage you want your pet to have:
- dental coverage (gingivitis, root canals, dental checkups)
- wellness (preventative studies, vaccines, flea and tick medication)
- breed-specific conditions
- illness in general
Pricing is another matter. Plans can cost between $10 to $70 per month, depending on how comprehensive coverage is. This is pretty affordable considering the costs pet care can amount to:
- vaccines can cost around $75 to $100
- routine annual checkups can cost between $200 and $400 for dogs and between $90 and $200 for cats
- surgery on a dog can cost up to $6,000
- a pet burial plot and dug grave cost between $400 and $600 and caskets cost between $50 and $500, depending on whether you want a plastic or wooden casket
Getting pet insurance can definitely help ease the financial burden an unexpected situation may bring upon and it can help get your pet the best care available.
If the rest of your family and belongings are insured, why not your pet?