Tips to Boost Your Immune System
If you find yourself getting sick often or just want to increase your body's ability to fight off germs and illness, follow the tips to boost your immune system below.
Consider your DietUnhealthy diets prevent the body from getting the nutrients it needs, promoting an increase of viruses and dangerous bacteria. This does not improve the immune system but tires it, fighting all kinds of threats and spending precious nutrients your body has less of because of the lack of healthy ingredients in your diet.
One way to watch your diet and boost your body's natural immunity is to add colorful fruits and veggies to your diet. Colorful fruits and veggies such as leafy greens, oranges, green peppers, papaya, broccoli, watermelon, kiwi, carrots and strawberries are full of natural antioxidants that are known to boost immunity.
Keep an Eye on Your Stress LevelsStress is an unavoidable part of life and it's impossible to eliminate it completely from your life and have it stay that way. However, you can learn how to apply stress management techniques on a regular basis to help boost your body's immunity and stay mentally and physically strong.
You can reduce your stress and increase your body's immune system by:
- Taking regular breaks from work and overwhelming tasks.
- Cultivate a strong social network, spend time with friends and family.
- Getting a pet can help you relax while also exercise.
- Exercising often can help keep stress levels low.
Sleep, Sleep, SleepConsistently getting at least 7 hours at night helps the body stay strong and healthy. When we sleep me are helping every cell in our body, from our brain to our skin.
During our sleep, the immune system releases cytokines, proteins that help promote sleep. Also, sleeping relaxes the systems that are responsible for the stress response of the body and it protects your mental health.
Also, sleep can help the immune system fight the flu, herpes, HIV and cancer cells, mainly because when we sleep T cells are able to boost the adhesiveness they need to get in direct contact with cells from the abovementioned viruses. When we sleep the level of our stress hormones adrenaline and noradrenaline goes down, promoting more adhesiveness and making T cells more effective against diseases.
Take VitaminsIf you watch your diet, manage stress and get enough sleep, you should start to see an improvement in your body's immune response to illness and disease. However, to boost your immune system even further, you should consider taking the right vitamin supplements and nutrients.
Vitamins to boost immune system health include:
- Vitamin C: a natural immune system booster, Vitamin C contributes to improving our immune defense by supporting cells including in the epithelial barrier, helping strengthen the body against pathogens.
- Vitamin E: helps prevent the immune system from failing as we age and it provides an antioxidant boost to the immune system.
- Vitamin B6: supports biochemical reactions in the immune system that help it respond when needed.