Family Attorney Services
If you are going through a divorce, an annulment, a separation, or are dealing with issues like the custody of children and their support, you may consider hiring a family attorney to represent you. There are plenty of lawyers available throughout the nation who can help with your case. Also, there are plenty of ways to save if you can't afford the typical cost of family attorneys.
Find out more about the types of cases family lawyers can help with as well as how you can get free pro bono legal help by reading the sections below.
Ways a Family Lawyer Can HelpThere are plenty of different situations where a family attorney can be of service. Here are some examples of cases where you may hire a family lawyer's services to assist you:
- Divorce, annulment or separation
- Alimony and spousal support
- Child custody
- Nuptial agreements
Things to Keep in Mind When Hiring a Family AttorneyWhen you are about to hire a family attorney, you want to make sure they are knowledgeable in their field so that you are able to walk away from the case with a positive outcome. Another recommendation is to double-check their case history. Some important questions to ask include but are not limited to:
- Did you win your most recent case?
- How many cases have you lost compared to the cases you have won?
- How many cases have you won in this specific area that your help is needed in now?
Another key factor to keep in mind is that you don't simply want a lawyer that promises the best outcome in every case. You want a lawyer who is realistic and honest with you about the different ways that a case can turn out.
For example, when it comes to child custody, a good lawyer is one who explains every possibility and its likelihood and stresses the importance of settling in certain cases when possible.
Ready to find a lawyer? Websites like Lawyers.com give you access to information about attorneys in your area.
How to Find Pro Bono Family AttorneysLegal services are expensive. Especially if you believe that your case will be drawn out and take a long time to resolve, you could be paying a great deal in fees. Luckily, there are ways that you can obtain family legal services for free or reduced charges. These include but are not limited to:
- Online consultations. Some lawyers may offer short but free consultations in order to encourage you to use their paid services.
- Law school students. As part of the learning process and as part of serving their communities, law schools allow law students to help with certain cases free of charge. Look for schools in your area to see if they are offering this pro bono service.
- Local associations and courthouses. Whether it's a bar association or a courthouse in your area, they may provide free legal help in the form of free phone calls to discuss your case, or they may be able to point you to legal professionals who offer similar services.